Friday, March 6, 2009

The Tiger-god protects against all evil-doers!

And so, I finally was able to collect the keys to 105 Malay Street from my lawyer, which I did this past Monday. Its now ... *ahem*... my house. Of course, I went over immediately to look it over. It was a complete mess. There was a termite infested ceiling, termite infested floorboards, slabs of plaster peeling off the water-damaged walls, rotting beams, leaks everywhere, a broken staircase, rotting food and piles of discarded shoes. But I loved it and I was happy and excited.

The next day I set about looking for a contractor to clear out the trash and to hack and remove all the unwanted additions. After talking to 2 prospectives, I settled for Lim, a contractor my new friend, Bernard, had recommended. Lim had worked on restoring a house on Chow Thye Road that Bernard was managing for a couple of his friends. Bernard had been pleased with Lim's work and attitude, and gave a strong recommendation. So Lim it was. He started work on Wed.

Meanwhile, I had sauntered over to Komtar nearby in search of some renovation guidelines. I thought I'd better be clear about regulations since Malay Street separates the Georgetown heritage core zone from the buffer zone. (On one side of the street, the houses are in the core zone and on the other, the buffer zone. No.105 lies in the buffer zone.)

After being re-directed a couple of times in the maze that is Komtar, I found my way to the Heritage Building Control Section of the MPPP Building Department, on the 11th Floor, where I spoke to Mr Tan. Mr. Tan was a friendly chap who assured me that I was free to seek his assistance anytime to discuss my plans with him. But he didn't give me any guidelines. I was a bit perplexed. (I did however, find out that I would be allowed to build a 3rd storey from the air-well to the back of the house. Janet Pillai - friend & responsible citizen - over a beer, was not amused)

Yesterday, the 9th day of the 2nd moon, all the animals in the forest opened their mouths for the first time after their hibernation. At 6.45pm, precisely the moment when their mouths opened, I was at the Goddess of Mercy temple on Pitt Street with my aunt, where we made offerings of lard to the tiger-god. I had also spat on the negative forces that would come my way and vigorously stomped on a little paper figurine of a man to ward off any future evil intentions from people I will encounter.

The stage is now set. I've had a wonderful start to the renovation process. But now, knowing the path is clear and with the tiger-god protecting me, I stride ever more confidently into this exciting and very educational journey of many, many months.

1 comment:

  1. May the generals sit on your left and right protect you.
    May the dogs at your feet guard you.
    May the Heaven bless you and shower the abode with riches
    May the RM$ psf gain in leaps and bounds

    ReplyDelete